Sunday 10 July 2011

When the sunshines (on the coo shed)

Hi folks and welcome to the Coo shed, a spanking brand new non-official blog of everything relating to Cowdenbeath Football Club. I will be looking to post news from pre-season, to the big kick off and throughout season 2011/2012. As the season progresses, I will be posting informative posts of Cowden’s high’s and low’s of yesteryear. Not just for the Cowden fan’s, but other lower league supporters (that are interested) reading enjoyment.
 
For those not in the know how, the name of this blog originates from the once covered west terracing of Central Park, home of Cowdenbeath FC. It is still sung about today in the supporter’s song “when the sunshine’s (on the coo shed)”.  The structure very much resembled an old cow shed, hence its nickname. Sadly the elements took its toll and its end came in 1983, when it was blown away. I never experienced the coo shed as I was a mere toddler upon its demise. But by the story’s I have heard, I chose to honour it by naming this blog after it. A picture of the Coo shed is shown in the fanzone on the official website.

I have my dad to thank for making me a follower of the blue Brazil. He followed Celtic earlier in his life, but started to follow Cowden around 1965, when he was workmates with then Cowden player Andy Kinnell.
  Before I continue, I have a Confession to make, the first ever match I went to was in 1989, along with a couple of school friends, we made the trek through to a place on Halbeath Road to watch some pub team take on Raith Rovers. Yes my confession is thus, I actually started my football supporting life watching Dunfermline Athletic. Even though they went down 1-0 to Raith, I was left wanting more. My next game was the season closer and Dunfermline’s championship clinching match Vs Meadowbank Thistle. The following season I watched them take on sides from the premier division in the first few weeks, but started to become bored with the Premier Division hype. This is when my dad came to the rescue.

 On the morning of 16th September, 1989, dad asked me, do you want to come and watch Cowden play Stirling Albion today? I said sure, why not. I thought it would be great to spend some time with the old man. So off we went and by the time full time came I was hooked, like nothing I have ever been hooked on before, even getting screwed by Dumbarton 5-1 two weeks later never even deterred me. My days following Dunfermline were finished, PHEW!  
 
16th September 1989, COWDENBEATH 4 STIRLING ALBION 0. Nearly 22 years on and I am still as passionate following Cowden as I was back then. I have witnessed the good and the bad times over the past 22 years, but it’s that said passion for the club that keeps me returning season after season. I have my dad to thank for that, cheers mate.
My first away game was not until 1991, when Cowden played Rangers at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup. It was the first time my dad had been back in Govan since following Celtic years earlier.  I don’t recall much of the game, but vividly remember Sandy Ross?? Putting the ball in the net with his hands. My first Cowden shirt was the 1991-1992 home shirt, which coincided with the club winning promotion to the old first division. I’ve never forgotten the closing minutes of the final match of the season at Alloa's Recreation Park, 1 point was all we needed, with the score 0-0 and the final whistle imminent, there was a shot on goal by Alloa, and as the ball lay in the box, in the middle of goal, Cowden Keeper Steve O’Hanlon, hidden by a cloud of dust smothers the ball as Alloa players are surging forward to poke the ball home, and would have most certainly sent them up a division instead of us. As the final whistle went, I experienced my first pitch invasion.

Since then there has been period’s of elation, sadness and downright miserable times following Cowden, but would a lower league supporter have it any other way. Forget two clubs at the very top of Scottish football, that it’s supporters expect to win the championship or domestic cups every season, It is the high and low’s that makes lower league football what it is, and the hope, that this, just might be our season. 

So as Mickey’s era begins at the fife MaracanĂ£, I hope you return throughout, what I am sure will be rollercoaster season, to read all things relating to the mighty Blue Brazil.
 
So good luck to Cowdenbeath FC, and to the other 9 clubs, and its supporters, for the forthcoming season.

PS: COWDENBEATH FOOTBALL CLUB Division Two Champions 2011-2012 (please bloody give someone else a shot at the play offs this year).